Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Hey ladies

Where are the girls at? The first issue I did of Spell contained only boys. This was not by design; I didn't say "submit to Spell only if you have a penis". Allow me to make a sincere plea to the female poets and artists: please submit your work for inclusion in Spell magazine #2. I really loved the work that comprised the first issue, but it would be great if I could include at least one female in this next issue. This is partly my fault, I haven't made a lot of connections and correspondence with female poets and artists, and I need to do better with that. So if you'd like to possibly be a part of this issue, please send your work along to eric.unger@gmail.com (and guys, keep sending your work along too). Thanks.

6 Comments:

Blogger Jessica Smith said...

yeah... i don't know how to help you with that.
i don't have any new work right now.

8:45 PM  
Blogger Jessica Smith said...

also, like, what do you mean when you say you ant spell to be a place to experiment?
i think i write experimental poetry
but i don't really experiment
i have a few methods that i use but none of them are experiments *to me* you know? maybe ask lorraine if she has something, or t.a. noonan.

12:39 AM  
Blogger House Press said...

I'm not necessarily speaking of experimental poetry per se. I want spell to be a resource where people can feel free to step outside of their usual modes of process and challenge themselves to tackle new and different areas. Or work that is in process: emerging. I say resource because sometimes when you see your own work in print, next to others who are working from a similar starting point, it may help you to view your work in a fresh way. Of course I also want Spell to be read by others, and maybe they will find it useful or enjoyable or challenging. But I am not speaking of experimental poetry. I guess I wanted to do Spell in the first place because there was a feeling I had that there weren't enough places to go (in print) for artists and writers to deal with there own processes. I forget now the name of the magazine, but back in the 50's there was a monthly journal for a community of poets to print their work in process. It was solely for that purpose, there was a very limited number of each issue made. Spell is a different thing, because I want to include 'visual' artists, I want it to be read not only by contributors, and not all of the work has to be in process.

12:55 PM  
Blogger John Sakkis said...

maybe you're talking about Spicer's Open Space?

2:04 PM  
Blogger House Press said...

John, yes that's exactly it. I knew that Spicer was intregally involved. Thanks

2:31 PM  
Blogger Aaron Lowinger said...

I still have no idea what spell wants, but I'm going to try

12:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home